The Gender, Trauma & Violence Knowledge Incubator @ Western University (GTV Incubator) is a collective of researchers, community service leaders, educators and trainees committed to gender, trauma and violence research, policy and practice.
Our goals are to:
- Develop and evaluate a suite of Trauma- and Violence-Informed Care (TVIC) education and training materials, based on our collective work to date, adaptable to a variety of service contexts and tailorable to different types of learners.
- Establish a core group of experts to deliver the training directly, and to others who want to become educators.
- Expand the concept of “TVI” into other domains including research, program evaluation, policy and advocacy.
- Develop, resource and conduct research and evaluation.
- Share and mobilize this knowledge using tailored, innovative strategies.
Nadine Wathen, Brenna Schmitt & Jen MacGregor published a scoping review on ways to measure TVIC - full text is freely available here.
Susan Jack, Heather Lokko and Nadine Wathen prepared a series of TVIC-based tools to support COVID-19 vaccines:
- A Trauma-and Violence-Informed Care (TVIC) Approach to COVID-19 Vaccination Delivery
- A Trauma-and Violence-Informed Care (TVIC) Approach to COVID-19 Vaccination Administration
See the series by Dr. Jack & colleagues at the PHN-PREP Resource Hub.
GTV Incubator members are collaborating on a new book titled: A Guide to Implementing Trauma- and Violence-Informed Care in Multiple Contexts, coming soon from University of Toronto Press!
Learn more about our study evaluating the impacts of trauma- and violence-informed care workshops here.
Incubator members Nadine Wathen, Jessie Rodger, Marilyn Ford-Gilboe, Susan Rodger, Vicki Smye, Jen MacGregor & Eugenia Canas received a Western Catalyst Grant & a SSHRC Connections grant to study the effects of pandemic-related changes in the VAW sector. We’re partnering with violence against women services in London, Strathroy, Sarnia & Thunder Bay to mobilize these findings. The team includes Tara Mantler (Western-Health Studies), and trainees Caitlin Burd & Jill Veenendaal (Western-FIMS) and Isobel McLean (University of Toronto-Architecture). More information is available here.
Partnering with London Police Service, Incubator members Barb MacQuarrie and Margaret MacPherson are developing a trauma- and violence-informed implementation model with customized training and resources on family violence. Visit Our Work to see more.